Balanceability is a learn to cycle programme specially designed to teach young children 2 ½ to 6 years old the skills to learn to ride a pedal bike without the use of stabilisers. It promotes the fundamental skill of cycling which is balance.
Balanaceability is linked to the Foundation Stage Curriculum and is a two level programme with each level being delivered in 6 sessions of around 30mins. Throughout the programme children will develop:
- Dynamic and static balance – children will feel more confident on a balance bike due to the ability to place their feet on the floor and also due to the fact that their centre of gravity is lower than on a pedal bike
- Spatial awareness – children will learn to ride safely, with control around others and around obstacles
- Gross motor skills – such as hopping, running, jumping and leaping. These skills will help to build the foundations on which they can build more complex movement patterns in other areas
- Sensory motor skills – movement is a key part of every child’s development and forms a vital part in facilitating exploration and discovery. Children will respond to sight, sound, touch and develop a kinaesthetic awareness during the sessions.
“Learning to ride a bike is one of life’s milestones providing children with their first taste of mobile independence.”
Specific skills covered in the Level 1 course include:
- Manoeuvring the bike by themselves
- Picking it up / putting it down safely
- Mounting and dismounting the bike
- Riding position
- How to stop – using feet and brakes
- Walking, running and jumping on the bike
We are delivering balanceability courses in schools with training delivered by fully qualified instructors. Training ideally consists of 6 x 30 min sessions with groups of up to 15 children. All of the equipment is provided and training is delivered outside on the school playground.
We can also help schools who would like to purchase their own bikes and equipment or who would like to train up their own staff to deliver the training.
To find out more or to book a course please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org