FA Active Literacy Primary Playgrounds Course
16 March from 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
The FA Active Literacy –Primary Playgrounds programme aims to get girls aged 5 to 8 engaged in physical activity through the art of storytelling during lunch breaks or breakfast clubs. Active Literacy – Primary Playgrounds is an FA and National Literacy Trust collaboration. Over the course of the sessions children will have the opportunity to achieve the learning objectives based on Key Stage 1 English and PE with a focus on fundamental movement skills and speaking and listening skills.
FA Active Literacy Primary Playgrounds is a 3 hour, non-assessed workshop involving theory and practical based learning. Learners are taken on a journey to explore the benefits of play and fundamental movements to support the challenges young girls face when engaging with physical activity. They will start to understand the importance of bringing an environment to life through a story where a child is only limited by their imagination.
Challenges addressed through FA Active Literacy Primary Playgrounds:
1. Confidence and competence to deliver high-quality Active Literacy that is engaging for girls
2. Developing confidence and a long-term positive relationship with being physically active in young people
3. Ensuring the inclusion of all young people
For School staff who support Lunchtime play. This can be teachers, Teaching Assistants, other support staff. Also suitable for teachers who want to cascade their learning on to Playground leaders.
The ideal Club Deliverer will be:
1. Able to understand and adapt sessions to individual needs and ability; be familiar with delivering to a session plan
2. Able to make the girls feel like they are in a safe/comfortable environment; can manage group dynamics and be comfortable with creative play
3. Have a fun and creative mind-set; can tell a story and bring it to life, be able to engage the most disengaged
All schools involved in the programme will receive:
• Three storybooks
• 20 copies of a home activity book for the girls to do with their families
• Certificates for each child who participates in the programme
Tutor: Chloe Brown (FA Tutor)